Christmas Tree Sugar Cookies | Makes 30 Cookies
113 g. organic butter, softened
198 g. (3/4 cup + 2 Tbsp.) organic sugar
1 tsp. organic vanilla extract
2 organic large eggs
255 g. (2 cups) organic flour
½ tsp. organic cloves
1 ½ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. sea salt
339 g. organic butter, softened
680 g. (5 cups) organic powdered sugar, sifted
¼ cup water
2 ½ tsp. ColorKitchen Green Dye
4 g. (a pinch) organic Dutch cocoa
a pinch of ColorKitchen Pink Dye
a pinch of ColorKitchen Blue Dye
Christmas Tree Cookie Cutter
extra flour for rolling out cookie dough
Ateco decorating tips #56, 30, 133, 96, 21, 34
ColorKitchen Christmas Tree Sprinkles
organic fine shredded coconut
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F / 150 degrees C.
2. In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment (or using a handheld mixer), add the butter, sugar and vanilla extract. Mix on low until all ingredients are combined and there’s no butter chunks.
3. Add the eggs and mix just slightly.
4. In a separate bowl, add the flour, cloves, baking powder and salt and whisk together.
5. Add the flour mixture into the butter mixture and mix until a cookie dough forms.
6. Flour a surface and roll out the cookie dough to ¼” thick.
7. Cut out Christmas Tree shapes with a Christmas Tree cookie cutter.
8. Place on a baking sheet with parchment paper, space at least 1” apart.
9. Bake for 10 minutes.
10. Once cooled, start the frosting.
11. In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment (or using a hand-held mixer), add the butter, powdered sugar and water. Mix on low until combined and then speed up to mixer to high for 1 minute or until light and fluffy.
12. Split the frosting between six bowls. Put 50 g. in one bowl and add the Dutch cocoa, stir to combine into a chocolate frosting.
13. In two bowls, add 222 g. of frosting to each bowl. In one of the bowls add ½ tsp. ColorKitchen Green Dye and in the other add 2 tsp. ColorKitchen Green Dye. Stir both to combine completely.
14. In the last three bowls, add 171 g. of frosting in each. In one of the bowls, add just a pinch of ColorKitchen Blue Dye and stir to combine completely. In another bowl add just a pinch ColorKitchen Pink Dye and stir to combine completely. These colours should be very light / pastel.
15. Put the chocolate frosting in a piping bag with decorating tip #56.
16. Put the light green frosting in a piping bag with decorating tip #30.
17. Put the dark green frosting in a piping bag with decorating tip #133.
18. Put the white frosting in a piping bag with decorating tip #96.
19. Put the blue frosting in a piping bag with decorating tip #21.
20. Put the pink frosting in a piping bag with decorating tip #34.
21. Pipe different designs on each tree! Try doing all sorts of things to make them different and unique.
22. Sprinkle with ColorKitchen Christmas Tree Sprinkles or fine shredded coconut - this will create a snowy effect.
23. Store in an airtight container to keep fresh.
Baker’s Note: To make these gluten free, just substitute the organic flour for 270 g. organic gluten free flour blend.
Recipe by Dessert'D Organic Bake Shop