Makes: 9” Cookie Cake
57 g. organic butter, softened
43 g. organic sugar
43 g. organic dark brown sugar
½ tsp. organic vanilla extract
1 organic large egg
127 g. organic flour
½ tsp. organic cinnamon
½ tsp. organic ginger
½ tsp. organic cloves
½ tsp. sea salt
½ tsp. baking powder
Frosting & Decorating:
226 g. organic butter, softened
680 g. organic powdered sugar, sifted
¼ cup organic milk
2 Tsp. water
2 tsp. organic vanilla extract
ColorKitchen Orange, Yellow and Pink Dyes
5 g. organic Dutch cocoa
Ateco decorating tips #8, 12, 2, 104, 150, 56
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F / 190 degrees C.
2. In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, add the butter, sugar, brown sugar and vanilla extract. Mix on low until all ingredients are combined. Alternatively, mix using an electric handheld whisk or standard whisk.
3. Add the egg and mix until combined, scrape the sides of the bowl and mix more if needed.
4. In a separate bowl, add the flour, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, salt and baking powder. Whisk to combine.
5. Add the flour into the mixing bowl and mix until combined.
6. Add the sprinkles and mix to combine completely.
7. Place parchment paper in the bottom of a 9 inch cake pan. Arrange the cookie dough in the bottom of the pan until it's even.
8. Bake for 16-17 minutes.
9. Once the cookie cake has cooled, start the frosting.
10. In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, add the butter, powdered sugar and vanilla extract. Alternatively, mix using a hand-held whisk.
11. Separate the frosting into six bowls. In the first bowl, add 30 g of the plain white icing. This will be the white for the eyes of the turkey.
12. In the remaining five bowls, add 185 g. of frosting. Use the following ratios to make the colours:
- Purple: add 5 g. ColorKitchen Pink Dye and 3 g. ColorKitchen Blue Dye.
- Orange: add 5 g. ColorKitchen Orange Dye (or 3 g. Pink Dye and 8 g. ColorKitchen Yellow Dye).
- Red: add 3 g. ColorKitchen Pink Dye and 3 g. ColorKitchen Yellow Dye.
- Yellow, add 5 g. ColorKitchen Yellow Dye.
- Brown, add 5 g. Dutch cocoa.
13. Stir them all to combine completely.
14. Put the white frosting in a piping bag with decorating tip #8.
15. Put the chocolate in a piping bag with a coupler so you can change the tip. First, put tip #12.
16. For the feathers, you can use tip #104 or #150. If you only have one or two of these tips just change them out as you go. I started with purple first and just made a zig zag pattern along the upper part of the cookie. I did two rows of each color.
Then switch to red, then orange and then yellow. For the red and orange, make sure to use a coupler in the piping bags so you can switch out the tips for feet and neck.
17. Once the feathers are piped, pipe the body with the chocolate, in a giant U-shape.
18. Pipe eyes with the white.
19. Change out the tip in the chocolate to tip #2 and pipe the eyes.
20. Change out the tip in the orange to tip #56 and pipe the feet. Then pipe a round nose.
21. Then pipe the gobbler part of the neck using red with tip #150.
Store in an airtight container to keep fresh.
Baker’s Note: To make this gluten free, just substitute the organic flour for 145 g. organic gluten free flour blend.
Recipe by Mimi's Cookie Bar