284 g. organic sugar
½ tsp. organic vanilla bean
57 g. organic Dutch cocoa
57 g. organic dark chocolate chunks
½ cup boiling water
½ cup organic canola oil
1 organic large egg
1 organic large egg yolk
255 g. organic flour
¾ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. sea salt
220g of organic butter, softened
454 g. (1 lb.) organic powdered sugar, sifted
1 organic vanilla extract
1 tsp. water
ColorKitchen Blue, Pink, Yellow, Green and Orange Dyes
Surf Sweets Sour Gummy Worms (find here)
Decorating Tips #2, 8, 32, 21, 133, 26, 48
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F / 175 degrees C.
2. Line a 9 x 13 baking tin with parchment paper.
3. In a mixing bowl, add the flour, baking powder and sea salt and whisk together. Set aside.
4. In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment (or using a hand-held mixer), add the sugar, cocoa, chocolate chips, vanilla bean and water. Mix on low until combined.
5. Add the egg, egg yolk, canola oil and the flour mixture.
6. Mix on low until all ingredients are combined. Be careful not to over-mix.
7. Pour batter into baking tin and spread evenly.
8. Bake for 12-14 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
9. Once the brownies have cooled, remove from baking tin. Cut them into squares, rectangles or triangles. It’s fun to make them all different sizes.
10. Next, start the frosting. In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment (or using a hand-held mixer), add the butter, powdered sugar, vanilla extract and water. Mix on low until all ingredients are combined then speed mixer up to high for 1 minute or until light and fluffy.
11. Separate the frosting into eight small dishes. Use the below combinations to create different colours, and leave one dish uncoloured for the eyes.
Blue – ½ tsp. ColorKitchen Blue Dye
Green – ½ tsp. ColorKitchen Green Dye
Orange – ½ tsp. ColorKitchen Orange Dye
Pink – ½ tsp. ColorKitche Pink Dye
Purple – ¼ tsp. ColorKitchen Blue Dye + ¼ tsp. ColorKitchen Pink Dye
Yellow – 1 tsp. ColorKItchen Yellow Dye
Chocolate – 5 g. organic Dutch cocoa
12. Add each of the frostings into piping bags. Use tip #2 for the chocolate, tip #8 for the white, tip #32 for purple, tip #21 for pink, tip #133 for blue, tip #26 for orange, tip #48 for yellow and for green, spread with a knife.
13. Once all the frosting is in piping bags, pipe different designs on each brownie to create different kinds of monsters. Get creative!
14. Once all the monsters are coloured, add eyes by piping white circles onto each one. Then add a small chocolate dot in the center.
15. Create mouths using the chocolate or gummy worms, and add hair with any of the colours!
16. Store in an airtight container to keep fresh.
Baker’s Note: To make these brownies gluten free, substitute the organic flour for an organic gluten free flour blend.
Recipe by Mimi's Cookie Bar